We suggest the following topics for a thorough exploration of the concept of home rule:
- The Home Rule movement, historiography, memory and the Irish national narrative
- The literary, artistic representation of the struggle for Home Rule and its main leaders
- Irish sovereignty and direct democracy within supranational economic and/or political institutions:
- The European Union (the Treaty of Lisbon referendums, Brexit and Northern Ireland, subsidiarity and self-government…)
- The 2008 economic crisis and the EU-IMF bank bailout: the Republic of Ireland under the foreign rule of the Troika?
- Foreign wars, the UN, the principles of Irish neutrality/non-alignment and national territorial integrity
- Home rule in Northern Ireland, past and present local institutions, the intricacies of the implementation of devolution, the current political stalemate
- The autonomy of Irish art: the claims for a local, independent artistic expression versus the circulation of ideas between Ireland and Europe and/or the USA
- Home/Local/regional distribution / circulation of art: the example of publishing.
- Home rule and domesticity: women’s struggle for independence and autonomy within the home
RISE is a multi-disciplinary, peer-reviewed journal and welcomes papers from a variety of areas including Film & Visual Arts, Literature, History, Cultural Geography and Economics.
Abstracts (200 words) to be sent by 1 February 2019.
Articles should be 7000-8000 words in length.
The deadline for submission is 30 June 2019.
Publication will be in September 2019.
More information here: