- This event has passed.
Ireland in Space – American Conference for Irish Studies Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference
03/11/2017 - 04/11/2017
Ireland in Space
American Conference for Irish Studies Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference
(Georgetown University, Washington DC, November 3-4, 2017)
Contact email: ACISMidAtlantic2017@georgetown.edu
Organisers: Irene Jillson, Gerard Mannion, Cóilín Parsons
While the ‘spatial turn’ has long since been appropriated as a central aspect of the social sciences and the humanities, the interdisciplinary field of Irish Studies has, arguably, yet to explore fully the prospects of engaging with questions and methodologies of space and spatiality. From the ‘distant reading’ of Franco Moretti to Lefebvre’s ‘production of space’ and beyond, spatial theories and methodologies offer rich and innovative ways to think and rethink ‘Ireland in Space’. Questions of space and scale also offer new ways to think about Ireland in transnational, translocal, or global terms. This regional meeting of the American Conference for Irish Studies aims to bring together as wide a range of scholars as possible the investigate the value of ‘space’, in all its guises, to the field and disciplines of Irish Studies.
- Space and place
- Spatial analysis (in history, lit, public health, etc.)
- Geography and geographical analysis (in lit, history, economics, etc.)
- Quantum physics and the DIAS
- Astronomy, Telescopes (Grubb’s telescope makers, Leviathan, etc.), Astrology Cosmology (Yeats’A Vision, etc.)
- Trans- and Internationalism in any discipline
- Environmental history, ecocriticism
- Comparative studies (literature, history, religion)
- Global and/or Planetary Irish Studies
- Imperialism (expanding national space) and Neo-imperialism
- Domestic / National / Transnational spaces
- Maritime, Oceanic and/or Littoral spaces
- Sacred spaces and places, spirituality and space
- Housing ‘crisis’, homelessness, spatial justice
- Human rights and spatial justice
- Immigrants, emigrants, refugees, and asylum seekers
- Philosophical treatments of space/nature (e.g. Eriugena’sPeriphyseon)
- Walls, Borders and Fences, spatial markers, segregation
- Stage spaces
- Maps and mapmaking
- Literary maps
- Distant reading
and related topics.
Discounted accommodation will be secured at the Georgetown University Hotel and Conference Center. There is also ample accommodation in the DC region, and the university offers free shuttle buses from the Dupont Circle and Rosslyn metro stations. The campus is also accessible using public bus lines. Parking on campus is available for $25 per day.